November 6: Constitution Day in the Dominican Republic (1844) and Tajikistan (1994); Gustavus Adolphus Day in Sweden (1632); Finnish Swedish Heritage Day in Finland
* 1865 – Months after the Battle of Appomattox Courthouse effectively ended the American Civil War, the CSS Shenandoah (pictured) became the last Confederate combat unit to surrender after circumnavigating the globe on a cruise on which it sank or captured 38 vessels.
* 1869 – In the first official American football game, Rutgers College defeated the College of New Jersey, 6–4, in New Brunswick, New Jersey, US.
* 1963 – Nguyen Ngoc Tho was appointed to head the South Vietnamese government by the military junta of General Duong Van Minh, five days after the later deposed and assassinated President Ngo Dinh Diem.
* 1971 – The United States Atomic Energy Commission conducts the largest underground nuclear test in U.S. history, code-named Cannikin, on Amchitka Island in the Aleutians.
* 1999 – Although opinion polls had clearly suggested that the majority of the electorate favoured republicanism, the Australian republic referendum was defeated, keeping the Australian monarch as the country's official head of state.
More anniversaries: November 5 – November 6 – November 7
Canada Dedicated Server